Thursday, February 3, 2011

Irritable Uterus?

Who ever heard of such a thing? How can a uterus be irritable? Is it angry at the fact that there is a baby growing inside of it or what?

My nurse told me that it is a lot like having an upset stomach. It can be due to a number of different things. This did not do anything to help me understand. All I know is that there were spikes on my NST results in the contraction section. I didn't really feel anything at that point though. Just the minor contractions I had been feeling all day.

When I got home I started doing some research. I can't understand exactly what is going on. What exactly is an irritable uterus? What are preterm contractions? What does it mean to be having contractions that feel completely real but aren't doing anything for my cervix? How does this effect my chances of preterm labor?

As I did some research I found this site: www.irritable-uterus.com%2F&h=f2ae8

On it was a description of EXACTLY what I have been going through and what I went through the last few weeks before having Sherwood. Specifically the rock hard stomach (upper abs) that stays painful and hard for an hour at a time. Along with the contractions that start in the lower back and radiate through to the front of the abs. Then there are also the period like cramps that happen in the lower abs. All of this is so painful that I have troubles even breathing when it is going on. It is much worse in the evenings, especially when I am trying to sleep, and does not get better (or worse) with any movements.

Braxton Hicks are supposed to get better with a change of movement. These do not. Braxton Hicks are not regular. These are. Braxton Hicks are not supposed to feel like real contractions. These do. As I was reading from this one website and various others, oftentimes it is hard for women to tell the difference between IU and real contractions, due to the fact that they are so painful and so similar to real contractions. The only difference is that they do not thin the cervix.

So how am I supposed to know when I go into labor? If I am having contractions that are just like real labor contractions, how am I supposed to know when they are real and when they are just the IU? With Sherwood, I think that was why I kept getting sent home even though the contractions were really painful to me. It was probably due to the fact that they were IU as well as the real contractions (probably mixed together?) and if my water hadn't broken than I probably would have had to deal with them for a few weeks longer.

Dr. Hartmann did a fFn today (I believe those are the initials) in order to see the possibility of going into labor in the next 2 weeks. I have to call tomorrow to find out the results. If I get a positive than it is likely that I will go into labor sometime in the next 2 weeks. If it is negative than there is only a .3% chance of labor in the next 2 weeks.

Monday I have an appointment with my MFM which will do a thorough ultrasound and take a look at how Tobias is doing growth-wise. Then I also have a NST that afternoon. Hopefully there is a way for them to find out exactly what is happening and how they can help me.

Dr. Hartmann also suggested that I get a brace for my belly. I am going to try to go look for one this weekend (or Monday at the hospital if I don't find one this weekend). Hopefully that will help some with the pressure that I feel on my bladder and my pelvis.

I know that each pregnancy is different. I just am hoping that this is a worse case scenario due to the pregnancies being so close together. I am hoping that I have some time in between this pregnancy and the next one and that by then it will be a bit easier on my body. I HAVE to lose weight before I get pregnant again. I think that might help a lot as well. There is nothing greater than being able to bring a baby into the world, but I am super weak, physically.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and love.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment